List of Requirements
Specification in general / baseline functionality
- independent of actual streaming mechanisms
- describe streams
- establish streams
- support alternative streaming technologies with custom stream establish mechanism
- a set of streaming mechanisms as attachment to specification
- it should be possible to describe 1-to-1 and 1-to-many streams
- it should be possible to describe a "back-channel" stream (for stream "answers" by the client)
- it may be useful to describe a streams size, if available (e.g., large file transfer, printer job, non-live video)
Two mechanisms for stream subscription are conceivable
- Without handshake: Some streaming protocols do not need subscription information (connectionless, e.g., UDP-broadcast-based) or include their own subscription methods. In these cases, WS-Streaming is used for stream description only.
- With handshake: For streaming protocols without or with insufficient integrated subscription methods, WS-Streaming should offer subscription methods.
- more complex to specify and implement
- may resemble WS-Eventing verbs
- should include authentication and key-exchange for encryption (re-use WS-Security?)
- if subscription is handled by WS-Streaming, there should probably be a method for unsubscribing in WS-Streaming, too.